[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.1.1c2 on OS8.6

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 22:54:22 +0200

Recently, basicprinting@earthlink.net said:
> The Official Jack Jansen MacPython Website still insists
>      "There are no current beta distributions."
>      #You might get more flies if you bother to bait the trap.

Nope, I don't want outsiders at the moment, due to the fact that I'm
making semi-legal use of the installer until I get a new key from
Mindvision. So it's just you pythonmac-sig folks...

> Installation of MacPython 2.1.1c2 on OS8.6 went successfully.
>

> Most of the items in Mac:Lib:test
>      failed, crashed, whatever

Hmm, that folder should probably go. None of these scripts have ever
been updated since first written. I'll add a readme to explain this.

> All of the samples in Mac:Demo:waste
>      suffered from 'zombie' windows
>      that refuse to dissapear once you close them.

Ouch! And so do the TE samples and the new MLTE sample. Could someone
with an original 2.1 installed please check this, to see whether it's
a new bug for 2.1.1 or an old one that is in 2.1 already?

> Double-Click PythonInterpreterClassic and it whines:
>        File "Net:Applications:Python 2.1.1:PythonInterpreterClassic", line
> 1
>          Joy!peffpwpc
>             ^
>      SyntaxError: invalid syntax

This is not surprising: you shouldn't double-click
PythonInterpreterClassic or PythonInterpreterCarbon. They are
byuilding-blcosk used when ConfigurePythonOneortheother creates
PythonInterpreter. But, I agree that it may be surprising to you, the
end-user. And even if it isn't surprising the error message won't win
a prize:-)

I'll try to do something about it.

>          and what the heck is that icon on the Classic Interpreter?

It is an almost-finished application, with a bit of scaffolding in
front of it, and it's being painted.

> Double-Click PythonInterpreter and it launches successfully
>      >>> import test.autotest
>          4 tests failed:  test_longexp  test_sha  test_socket  test_zlib

This is the bottom line: your installation works as expected.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll incorporate it for the final 2.1.1 release,