[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.1.1c2 available

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:18:10 -0700

2.1.1c2 again ran fine on my 466MHz G4 running MacOS 9.1 (USA). I ran
the standard tests on Classic and Carbon using PythonInterpreter with
no change to the memory partition.
Classic: 107 tests OK. 2 tests failed: test_longexp test_zlib.
Carbon: 106 tests OK. 3 tests failed: test_longexp test_sha test_zlib

I ran the active installer this time (though I usually use the full)
since you said it was giving problems in the previous 2.1.1 candidate.

Some tiny cosmetic things which might be worth fixing someday, not
necessarily for 2.1.1:
- after the installer finishes, it launches ConfigurePythonCarbon,
which takes a VERY long time to come to the front and then sits there
silently doing something for several minutes (this is on a 466MHz G4
with plenty of RAM, so I wonder what it's like on an older machine).
During this time a user might think the computer had hung. I'm very
puzzled by this delay, as simply launching ConfigurePython(either)
directly is really fast. It's as if VISE is taking way too much CPU
time to allow ConfigurePythonCarbon to run normally.

Anyway, after that everything is fine -- ConfigurePythonCarbon
rebuilds the applets fairly quickly (though not as fast as usual),
with an explanatory dialog box and a progress bar, so it's obvious
things are happening....
- Then it puts up a dialog box about how the next step may take
several minutes. That dialog box is amusing on my machine, because as
as soon as I click "OK" the process finishes -- no time is taken at
all for that step. By the way, this behavior (ConfigurePythonCaronb
really slow to launch, fine afterwards, no time for the last step).
is unchanged since 2.1 or 2.0

- the initial active installer screen still says this is the first
version to use an active installer.

-- Russell