[Pythonmac-SIG] building extensions on OSX

Gordon Worley redbird@rbisland.cx
Tue, 02 Jan 2001 22:59:34 -0500

At 1:29 PM +0100 12/31/2000, Jack Jansen wrote:
>I haven't played with OSX a lot yet, but I have heard the rumour that
>it is extremely picky about multiple definitions (on most systems,
>include MacOS9 and most Unixes Im familiar with, this would be a
>warning at most, and Python and mysql would happily use their local
>copy of Pickler_setattr).

In some ways, I wish that it were a rumor (it just means I have to be
careful with the include statements).  At the moment I'm taking an
Advanced Placement Computer Science A (this is the first year it was
offered, but fortunately most colleges that I've seen won't give
credit for AB anyway) and have to write command line programs in C++
(I don't like C++ that much, but it is okay, except for when they
want us to do string manipulation and I get frustrated with the fact
that my 10 lines of C++ could be 2 in Python).  Anyway, some of the
labs that we have to do (where we get some code and have to extend it
in a specific way to learn about features of C++), sometimes programs
refuse to compile because a header file was included twice (first
included in file x, then file x included in file y, but file y also
includes the header file, thus resulting in duplicate name errors).
When I am under SuSE Linux, this never happens.  So, it's not just
rumor, OS X is picky in this area.
--
Gordon Worley
http://www.rbisland.cx/