[Pythonmac-SIG] EMBEDDED MacPython (Carbon) + OSX - should this work?

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:47:22 +0100

Recently, Paul Miller <paul@fxtech.com> said:
> I have an app (a shared-lib actually) which links against PythonCoreCarbon
> that worked fine in Classic mode. But when trying to use this on OSX native
> it crashes (and I'm not sure why yet). Are there issues with embedded
> MacPython and OSX? Should I be preferring the native OSX version of Python
> for use in OSX?

It depends (doesn't it always:-). If your app (or shared library) is
CFM-based then MacPython is the best choice, but if it is Mach-O based
then unix-Python is better.

As to why your app crashes: without further information there could be
so many reasons that it's difficult to even guess. Start by looking in
the console whether you see any messages. Then try running from the
command line with a couple of dyld debugging environment variables
defined (man dyld gives quite a few). Then try running under either
the CodeWarrior debugger or gdb (but the lattter is tricky, see the
notes in the developer docs on debugging CFM apps with gdb).
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm