[Pythonmac-SIG] Packaging all toolbox modules in a package

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 13:58:40 +0200

The more I think of it the more I like the idea of turning all the Mac
specific modules into a package. (after a transition period, of course).

One of the big advantages of a package is that it is self-contained, and can
easily be installed with distutils. For supporting the MacPython modules under
unix-Python on OSX this is a real boon: there would be a lot less new cruft in
the unix-Python build process (only the single glue routine) and all of the
Mac stuff would be built with a single distutils-based setup.py script.

It also means we don't pollute the namespace so much, and that it is
immedeately clear to, say, Windows users that a certain script uses
Mac-specific features ("from Mac import findertools" is a lot more clear than
"import findertools"). I think the added nuisance is probably worth it.