[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac OS X compilers and Python 2.1

Corran Webster cwebster@nevada.edu
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:42:42 -0700

Does anyone here know if it is possible to get the developer tools
(such as gcc or Project Builder - which is basically an IDE for gcc,
as far as I can see) supplied by Apple for OS X to compile power PC
shared libraries like the ones currently used by MacPython?

As the author of the Python MPW HOWTO, I've been asked if it's
possible; and the ability to do so would be very nice, but I don't
know if it's even remotely possible.  I spent an evening earlier this
week playing with both gcc and Project Builder, but with no luck;
indeed I'm so far over my head with Project Builder I have no idea if
what I was doing was even vaguely reasonable.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, success stories even more so.
If it's possible, I'll try to find time to write up a HOWTO which
describes the process.

Regards,
Corran