[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.0 final installer available - please test

Jim Harrison jhrsn@pitt.edu
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:47:05 -0400

on 10/23/00 4:29 AM, Jack Jansen at jack@oratrix.nl wrote:

> Folks, the 2.0 final installer is available in
> ftp://ftp.cwi.nl/pub/jack/python/mac , please try it. I'll wait
> announcing it until I've had a couple of reports that it looks good.

I did have some problems installing on a PB G3/266 with System 8.6 and a
number of extensions including Kaleidoscope. The install got to the
"Finishing Installation" placard normally, then the watch spun slowly for
about 30 seconds and stopped with the machine frozen except for mouse
movement. After a few more minutes of nothing, cmd-opt-esc yielded a "Quit
from Finder" dialog which was recoverable only with a hardware reboot. This
was repeatable. After reboot, the installed python appeared to have all the
top level components and both the interpreter and the IDE ran, at least
superficially (I didn't have time to really exercise them). The folder
contained 1812 items according to the Finder.

Installing with extensions off was successful, though the "Finishing
Installation" placard stayed up with the watch spinning and a lot of HD
activity for about 3 minutes. The installed python was superficially
functional and the folder contained 1768 items. A reinstallation with
extensions off was similar, but the python folder contained 1776 items.

Hope this is useful.

Jim Harrison
Univ. of Pittsburgh