[Pythonmac-SIG] IDE feature requests

Chris Barker cbarker@jps.net
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:20:00 -0800

Jacob Kaplan-Moss wrote:
> >I don't want to make the interpreter more friendly, really. It's only
> >there for executing scripts and for a certain MacPython user whose
> >name starts with two Js and who refuses to use the IDE,

I'm sure you're not he only one!

> but aside from
> >that I think all nifty features should go into the IDE.
>
> <lurk mode="off"/>
> We still need the interpreter for one huge thing -- Tkinter.  Since
> Tkinter destroys the IDE, having the interpreter around for running
> Tkinter apps is a must.

Exactly. This is a symptom a fundamental problem with the IDE: the same
Python interpreter is running your code and the IDE itself. That's why
you can't use tkinter (or the hopefully forthcoming wxPython), that's
why you can't do a "run from scratch", that's why any text files created
by your script have the Creator set to the Python IDE, ...

All these things are what keep me running back to the raw interpreter. I
know I got a little carried away with my suggestions on my last post,
but the basics of making the interpreter more usable don't seem like
much (to a non-mac programmer anyway). The most critical thing is having
it able to receive that tells it to restart with a given script (and
command line options, if possible). This would make it easier to run
from an editor, and, in fact allow the IDE to use it as a separate
interpreter as well. Then all the other nifty features could be in the
IDE.

All I want is for the interpreter to work like it does on *nix!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.