[Pythonmac-SIG] How do I install packages?

tom smith tom@othermedia.com
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:22:13 +0000

on 13/11/00 12:02 pm, Richard Brooksby at rb@ravenbrook.com wrote:

> I installed Mac Python 2.0, and found that the XML DOM implementation
> chokes when fed the simple example from section 3.1.1 of the XHTML
> 1.0 specification <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#strict>.

I found that all the xml stuff seems to have changed since 1.5. So far, I've
found /lib/xml/dom/minidom.py to be the most useful parser. Rather than
eating a character at a time, it builds xml files into python lists of
objects. I've managed to load a 2mb xml file and play with the data...

> So I downloaded PyXML-0.6.1, hoping that it would be a newer version.
> But how do I install it?  Is it possible to run the "setup.py" script
> somehow?  Will it work?  Is there a recommended method for doing this?

I think, you add the folder to /Lib/site-packages/ and then add the path to
that folder using EditPythonPrefs.... but as I say, I think all the parsing
modules have moved or been renamed.

I think all the documentation is old too, so none of the xml examples work..