[Pythonmac-SIG] Printing Patch

Richard Gordon maccgi@bellsouth.net
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:51:59 -0400

At 16:38 -0700 09/29/1999, Joseph J. Strout wrote:
>For the brave & adventurous: I've just posted a file which will
>patch the (1.5.2c1) IDE to add printing support.

I applied the patch and, eventually, got things to work ok. Problems
I ran across:

1. At some point, I believe that it starts looking for :Mac:Tools:
FontSettings.pyc and since this wasn't part of my path when I
originally compiled all, I didn't have a .pyc. I added the directory
and ran compileall.py again, but then I ran into problems because it
started trying to find things in :Mac:Tools:Mac:Tools:, so I had to
remove :Mac:Tools: from my path to make it happy.

2. For reasons that escape me, the Page Setup and Print menu items
that were installed both ended with an extra character that was the
letter "a" with an umlaut. It didn't seem to break anything, but it
looked strange, so I went back to square one and edited the patch to
get rid of these, then reran the whole thing.

3. I figured it out on my own, but you might want to mention in the
instructions that the patched PythonIDE.py script still needs to be
dropped on BuildApplet to actually get things ready to run normally.

4. I like the line numbering on the printout, but noticed that at
least on my printer (Epson 740i), line 00000 is begun above the
printable portion of the page- the first line of succeeding pages
prints normally as does line 00001. I don't know if the Epson driver
doesn't know what to do with a line 00000 or what, but would guess
that if line numbering began with 00001, it would work properly.

As first tries go, this wasn't too ragged and I appreciate your
efforts. Thanks.

Richard Gordon
Gordon Consulting & Design
Database Design/Scripting Languages