[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 1.5.2 available, finally

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:34:42 +0200

> I installed this and am kind of curious about why I seem to have lost
> some execution speed vs. 1.5.2b? A text processing script that
> formerly took 257 seconds to run now takes 369 seconds- same script,
> machine & test files and no changes in environment that I know of.

Hmm, that's interesting. Checking whether you have a PPC or 68K interpreter is
easy: look at the banner when you start an interpreter (it'll say PPC or 68K,
along with the version number and date and such).

The second thing to check is to run the script again: your .py files have to
be compiled to .pyc files again after the new install, so maybe you measured
that time as well.

If you're still stuck at the 369 seconds you could try running
test.pystone.main() in the old and new interpreter.
If these also show this big difference it means that I probably did something
really stupid and distributed a Python with debug on or something silly like
that (but I _try_ not to do such things:-), so please let me know the results.

If pystone appears to be the same speed in the old and new interpreter the
problem is with one of the modules you use (re comes to mind when you say
"textprocessing script"). You could try to use the profiler to see where the
extra time is spent.