[Pythonmac-SIG] isShared bit on Python IDE?

Rob Managan managan@llnl.gov
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:55:34 -0800

>We've run into a bit of a problem because the Python IDE refuses to
>allow more than one copy of itself to be run from a server.  This is
>because its "isShared" Finder flag is not set.
>
>Is there a reason this flag isn't set?  TN 1126 (Checklist for
>Building Apps) sez:  "You need to set the isShared bit in the Finder
>flags to allow your application to be launched multiple times across
>a network... If you set the isShared bit, check that your
>application does not try to write to its own resource or data fork.
>In addition, check that your application does not try to write to
>any locations other than its preference file in the Preferences
>folder in the System Folder, which can be found and created using
>FindFolder."
>
>I doubt the IDE writes to itself, but it does write to other folders
>(i.e., when compiling various Python source files).  But we have
>another app (Mac Common Lisp) which does the same thing, with its
>Shared bit set, and it's never been a problem.  (Probably only a
>problem if two people try to compile the same file at exactly the
>same time.)
>
>So: any reason I can't safely set the "shared" bit on Python IDE?
>
>Thanks,
>-- Joe

I bet it has to do with one user changing the default directory
behind your back. That is you could suddenly find that the current
directory had changed due to action by another user.

This can be protected against I suppose but I am not real clear on
how all this is done on the Mac.

Rob Managan       <mailto://managan@llnl.gov>
LLNL                      ph:  925-423-0903
P.O. Box 808, L-095       FAX: 925-422-3389
Livermore, CA  94551-0808