[Pythonmac-SIG] os.linesep?

Andres Corrada andres@corrada.com
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 14:27:15 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > So would this thread be started in the JPython mailing list?
>
> I don't understand your question.  Java's I/O system has line
> separator translations too, as far as I know the JPython user can use
> \n for line separators in text files on all platforms.  If you want
> to, I can ask Barry Warsaw.

I guess I'm asking all these questions to figure out why this thread
starts in Pythonmac and not in a Pythonunix list. Your answer seems to
imply that Python uses \n as a line separator because C does. And me and
Chris are surprised at Python's behavior because we were not aware of
the use of \n in C to "define" the line separator independently of
platform. Thus my question about whether this issue also appears in
JPython.

Andres Corrada-Emmanuel   Email: andres@corrada.com
Owner                     http://www.corrada.com/mamey
Mamey                     Phone: (413) 587-9595