[Pythonmac-SIG] x-platform md5 (endian?)

savageb savageb@pacbell.net
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 18:50:47 -0800

Hi all, (and welcome back, Joe),

The recent discussion of line-endings reminded me of a problem I ran into
last week:

I did a little experiment with the MD5 module: I created an md5 digest for a
file on a Windows machine and then created an md5 digest for the same file
on a Mac and it turned out the digests do not match. Might this be because
of the "endian-ism" of the two platforms?

What I was hoping to do was create a script that would read in a *binary*
file and create an md5 digest for it that could be archived with the
original file to use as a test later for file corruption.

Bob