[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: new EasyDialogs

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:42:08 -0800

At 2:22 AM -0800 03-03-99, Jack Jansen wrote:

>The problem I was thinking of is actually _using_ the new calls in
>modules like FrameWork or programs like EditPythonPrefs. Once we start
>doing this Python becomes quite a bit less functional on
>non-appearance machines.

I think the first step is to make the AM (and NavServices, etc.) calls
available to Python programmers.  Those like me, who are using it in an
8.5-only environment, can immediately make use of them for writing AM-savvy
apps.

Whether, when, and how to incorporate those calls into the core Python
utilities is a separate issue.

>Does anyone happen to know whether the appearance manager is available
>for older machines and, if it is, whether it is freely distributable?

It is, and it is.  IIRC, it is available as an extension for MacOS 7.5 or
later.  I didn't like it much when I was using 7.5 (a few months ago),
though, but that was just me -- most people seemed to tolerate it.

John Stiles, emulation guru of emulation.net, has packed up the Appearance
Manager in a neat downloadable package:
	http://www.emulation.net/nintendo/appearance.sit.hqx

Cheers,
-- Joe
|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |