[Pythonmac-SIG] BBPy?

Richard Gordon maccgi@bellsouth.net
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:53:17 -0400

--============_-1282743225==_ma============

At 11:38 +0200 6/14/1999, Just van Rossum wrote:
>It seems the distribution script is somewhat broken. OTOH, as far as I'm
>concerned BBPy is hopelessly obsolete. I'm not sure it even works with
>BBEdit 4.5. History: I wrote it in a day or two back in 1996 at the
>suggestion of Joe Strout. I worked with it for a while, got very
>disappointed and started building an IDE instead ;-). If someone would be
>interested in developing it further: be my guest, but I don't feel like
>maintaining it any longer.

Hi Just & thanks for the file and comments.

PythonSlave.py has an error at line 21 ("Types" instead of "types"),
but it looks like the extension is broken under BBE 5.1 anyway.
Trying to run a script hung BBE and I found the following in the .out
window:

PythonSlave 0.1.3 ready.

Apple Event was not handled, error: (-608, 'noOutstandingHLE')

I was interested in BBPy because I'm already in BBEdit most of the
day writing Perl, html and JavaScript stuff, so it would be a little
more convenient from that standpoint. Also, BBEdit has become very
tightly integrated with MacPerl as of v. 5.1- that's good since it
has really helped with regex, etc., but most people who are now
getting curious about MacPerl don't even know what Python is, let
alone Mac Python, and it seems to me that one way of stimulating more
interest in Python would be if BBEdit offered some support for it.

OTOH, the IDE is really neat and I can see how it covers most of the
bases as far as writing Python code is concerned. One question and
one comment: a) does find/replace support any type of regex? and b)
there's been some discussion here lately about syntax coloring- this
is definitely a *good* thing and it would be really nice if this was
perfected and implemented the next time around.

Thanks.

Richard Gordon
--------------------
Gordon Consulting & Design
Database Design/Scripting Languages
mailto://richard@richardgordon.net
770.565.8267
--============_-1282743225==_ma============

<excerpt>It seems the distribution script is somewhat broken. OTOH, as
far as I'm

concerned BBPy is hopelessly obsolete. I'm not sure it even works with

BBEdit 4.5. History: I wrote it in a day or two back in 1996 at the

suggestion of Joe Strout. I worked with it for a while, got very

disappointed and started building an IDE instead ;-). If someone would
be

interested in developing it further: be my guest, but I don't feel
like

maintaining it any longer.

</excerpt>

[...]

</smaller></fontfamily>