[Pythonmac-SIG] wxPython - Guido

Chris Barker cbarker@jps.net
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:56:18 -0700

Well, I'm glad the GUI thing is still being discussed. The problem with
committing to Tkinter because of the Mac support is that the Mac support
is not so good. To tell you the truth, I have been completely
unimpressed with Tkinter on both windows and Mac, It really does work a
lot better on Unix.

I'm kind of disapointed that we have to be dependent on another
organisation (Scriptics) and another language (tcl) for GUI support.

I believe: "Define it and they will build it!"

If a GUI standard were declared, people would probably write the code to
make it work on all the major platforms. wxWindows, for one, seems to be
almost ready on the Mac, so wxPython could be a good choice. It has some
nice features, and is not dependent on another interpreted language. It
would still be dependent on the wxWindows project, but that's all open
source code, and could be adopted by the Python community in the future
if neccesary.

What we REALLY REALLY need is a cross platform GUI toolbox that is good
enough that people would use it even if they don't need a cross platform
solution. Does anyone on this list use Tkinter on the Mac for apps they
are only going to run on the Mac?

Am I the only one that need a Linux-Mac solution ?

Well, that's my rant of the day.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,