[Pythonmac-SIG] RE: editor for python on the mac

Bill Dozier dozier@abs.net
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:39:24 -0400

>From: "Joseph J. Strout" <joe@strout.net>
>Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] RE: editor for python on the mac
>>3) no colorization. (is this in the works?)
>
> Yes, it's actually been there for a while, but Just is reluctant to release
> it because it isn't perfect (it can get confused when multi-line strings
> are involved, and when this happens you have to hit a command key to
> re-colorize the entire file).

This happens to me sometimes in Xemacs (on Solaris) using the most
up-to-date python-mode. It's no reason not to release the feature!

>If you think that even imperfect
> colorization is worlds better than no colorization at all, write Just a
> note and politely explain this to him.  (Note that it does more than just
> colorization: it can do any syntax styling, e.g. keywords in bold, comments
> in italics, etc. -- very flexible.)

I use Xemacs pretty much all day every day at work on NT and Solaris. I am
completely spoiled by syntax highlighting and now find it hard to do
without. Just, please make it available and I promise not to complain if
it's not perfect!

Bill