[Pythonmac-SIG] RE: editor for python on the mac

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:09:26 -0700

At 4:54 PM -0700 07/20/99, Christopher Barker wrote:

>If anyone has Python modes for BBedit, or any other Mac editor, that
>might work as well.

I don't know about a "mode", but there is a "Run Python" BBEdit extension
that I used to use before the IDE came along.  It worked pretty well.

>2) indents differently that emacs python mode (tabs). I go back and
>forth between the two a lot, so that's a pain.

Tabs are a pretty standard method of indentation on the Mac.  How about
using a converter when you go back and forth?  (I have an example on my
Python site.)

>3) no colorization. (is this in the works?)

Yes, it's actually been there for a while, but Just is reluctant to release
it because it isn't perfect (it can get confused when multi-line strings
are involved, and when this happens you have to hit a command key to
re-colorize the entire file).  If you think that even imperfect
colorization is worlds better than no colorization at all, write Just a
note and politely explain this to him.  (Note that it does more than just
colorization: it can do any syntax styling, e.g. keywords in bold, comments
in italics, etc. -- very flexible.)

Cheers,
-- Joe
|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |