[Pythonmac-SIG] An Odd Question...

Andres Corrada andres@corrada.com
Thu, 08 Jul 1999 14:59:24 +0000

Gordon wrote:

> Yes, I think that this will work out fine, if somewhat inefficiently
> vs. just being in perl or in python but not both. I'm a little fuzzy
> about how you pass parameters and retrieve results between python and
> perl, but I think that this can be done using unix "system" in perl
> and I guess there would be comparable functionality in python.

I don't know how to do this and would be interested in any details of how you
get to do it. The work that I did was very text oriented. The Perl and Python
scripts ran C programs that produced text data files. Perl was king at the
shop because it is such a great text-processing language. I moved to Python
because text files can contain data that you want to organize in something
other than a linear array (yeah, yeah don't tell me about multi-dimensional
arrays in Perl). With the introduction of the re module in Python, I could do
the same text processing as in Perl but have a nicer syntax and more complex
array structures.

If I wanted to keep Python structures between script invocations, the pickle
module helped me do it.

Andres Corrada-Emmanuel    Email: andres@corrada.com
Owner                      http://www.corrada.com/mamey
Mamey                      Phone: (413) 587-9595