[Pythonmac-SIG] icon/graphic & shadow-mask

Bob Savage savage@2xtreme.net
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:53:23 -0800

Here's a very basic question. I am a little confused as to where to go next.

I have slowly been learning how to do programming with Python, and I've
reached the point where I am learning Tkinter, because doing things with
the language itself (behind the scenes) is starting to make sense. I am
also starting to make some sense of the underlying Tkinter paradigm, and I
am attempting to write a simple game in Python using Tkinter. But I'm
missing something pretty basic: how do I make a graphic with an irregular
outline showup properly against an meaningful background?

I was going to create a grid of "frame" widgets each with its own
background color to represent different "squares" on a "board" with
differing types of terrain. I figure this will all work pretty well because
I can use a dictionary to access both the "squares" and the visual
representations of those squares in a given view of the board. I'm very
excited about this because working with the dictionary takes care of a lot
of problems I was initially considering (like determining whether a given
square would actually be off the boundary of the board). And I *thought*
the use of frame for the representation of the square would also help me
place the icon for a gamepiece in the right spot. But I'm not sure how to
put a graphic in there and still be able to see around it so that it is
obvious what kind of terrain it is on.

Is this where I switch to learning about the IMG library? Or is there a
better place for me to be looking, given that I have been having some
success with Tkinter so I would like it to be compatible with Tkinter.

thanks for any help,

newbie -> Bob <- newbie

Bob Savage

                        e^mail  -> savage@2xtreme.net