[Pythonmac-SIG] Python and the future of MacOS

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:31:32 -0800

I'm helping my boss pick a language to carry the lab into the next decade.
We need number-crunching, image-processing, a decent GUI, and a good clean
syntax (he's currently a LISP addict).  Naturally I suggested Python.  One
concern I must research is this: how will Python on the Mac continue to
work as MacOS evolves?  MacOS X is coming out next month; when can we
expect to see Python running under that version of the OS?

My guess is, since MacOS X is basically Unix, and since Python already
compiles for various Unices relatively smoothly, it will work fine under
MacOS X.  The main issue is the current Mac modules; they'll need to be
updated for the Carbon API.  Can we expect this to happen?

Basically, my boss is a little nervous about a product that doesn't have
anybody's livlihood depending on keeping it stable and up-to-date.  I just
need some reassuring words from somebody In The Know that MacPython is
still quite actively supported, and is likely to stay that way for the
forseeable future.

Thanks,
-- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout           developer: MacOS, Unix, 3D, AI     |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |