[Pythonmac-SIG] pythonmac & GUI

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Wed, 07 Oct 1998 10:57:02 +0200

> I looked at the "FrameWork.py" file and the documentation in the Mac
> addendum to the reference, but I don't think I can do anything with that
> without at least one example (if someone has an example, even a small one,
> I would love to see it).

The examples in the Mac:Demo folder use FrameWork. PICTbrowse is a simple one,
the waste examples are a bit more involved. I think some of the others use
FrameWork as well.

> That leaves learning the Macintosh Toolbox and the bindings offered in the
> various Python modules. I would prefer not doing that because I really want
> to hop on MacOS X as soon as possible (I'll be getting MacOS X Server as
> soon as it becomes available -- I really need the stability, for one thing)
> so I am leary of learning APIs that are about to go away. (Are there plans
> for carrying Python forward onto MacOS X / X server (Rhapsody)?)

Rhapsody/MacOS X Server is probably a station that I'll skip, but I'll happily
accept donated code. On the other hand: as far as I understand the standard
unix Python might run under that.

The real MacOS X is a different story, of course. I've already used the carbon
dater on Python, and it seems the only real problems are where I expected
them, in the low-level event loop. Python already uses accessor functions in
stead of straight access to locore and os object internals, so we should be
fine there. You never know what pops up along the way, though.

Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm