[Pythonmac-SIG] pythonmac & GUI

Bob Savage savage@2xtreme.net
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 23:20:32 -0700

Hi,

I have been slowly learning Python, but have yet to do anything with a GUI.
I tried Tkinter a few times, but it doesn't seem to work reliably for me. I
tried running the 'Hello GUI world' code from the Lutz tome, and I ended up
not being able to quit from the Python IDE (the menubar changes to reflect
the mini app, but 'quit' does not work, so all I can do is force quit??)
The same thing happened on two different computers, BTW.

I looked at the "FrameWork.py" file and the documentation in the Mac
addendum to the reference, but I don't think I can do anything with that
without at least one example (if someone has an example, even a small one,
I would love to see it).

That leaves learning the Macintosh Toolbox and the bindings offered in the
various Python modules. I would prefer not doing that because I really want
to hop on MacOS X as soon as possible (I'll be getting MacOS X Server as
soon as it becomes available -- I really need the stability, for one thing)
so I am leary of learning APIs that are about to go away. (Are there plans
for carrying Python forward onto MacOS X / X server (Rhapsody)?)

At this point it seems like my best bet is just wait and not get tied to a
GUI framework until something or another firms up (Does someone have a
better suggestion?)

Thanks for the help,

Bob

Bob Savage