[PYTHONMAC-SIG] tk corrupting Finder

John Slater johngslater@earthlink.net
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 23:27:53 -0800

I am trying to use tcl&tk.  This has resulted in my having to reinstall
OS 8.0 (on a G3) several times because the finder got corrupted and I
could not even restart my machine (error type 41).   I don't know how to
"bless" a copy of the system folder,  so this whole reinstall business
gets laborious in a hurry.

Anyways,  at this point it seems like menusare doing the dirty deeds.
This code is very suspect:

frame      .mbar         -borderwidth 1 -relief raised
pack       .mbar         -fill  x
menubutton .mbar.file    -text  "File"  -menu .mbar.file.m
pack       .mbar.file    -side  left
menu       .mbar.file.m
.mbar.file.m add command -label "Exit"  -command exit
menubutton .mbar.edit    -text  "Edit"  -menu .mbar.edit.m
pack       .mbar.edit    -side  left
menu       .mbar.edit.m
.mbar.edit.m add command -label "Clear" -command { .sketchpad delete all
}

I noticed in the 1.5b3 README that
" Other outstanding problems are tkinter problems with menus (all
platforms) "  is mentioned.   The tcl/tk 8.0 Mac release README does not
mention any problems with menus,  but it seems likely that there is a
fundamental problem with tk - not a problem with tkinter.

I will try to get the attention of someone at Sun - if there is anyone
in the tcl group that is still there.  I live a half mile from Sun,  so
there can't be any excuses about non-reproducability,  they will be
welcome to look at my computer.

If any of you are interested in this outcome,  let me know.

Also,  if anyone is reading "Effective Tcl/Tk Programming"  and wants to
port some of the programs to Python,  send me mail since I will do some
of this if I can get tk to work on a Mac.

-John