[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac, MIDI and sysex -- Tkinter question

Bill Dozier dozier@bellatlantic.net
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 11:14:33 -0400

Hi,

I'm new to Python, but I'm already working to get my company to use it in a
number of areas. It is by far the easiest to learn language of the several
that I know.

I want to write a MIDI patch librarian for some of my equipment, to run on
the Mac. To do this, I really only need to send & receive sysex messages.
Can someone point me to a reference, book, whatever (preferably with code
examples) to help me get started? I've searched through the QuickTime 3.0
and CWPro 3 dox and all over the net, but I haven't found anything yet. The
MacOS API is the wierdest one I've ever seen.

Thanks!!!

PS

It's always seemed to me that Tk for the Mac has some memory management
problems (I can never run it for long without a memory-type crash). Do any
of you use it for anything "mission-critical," or does everyone use the
native (and, therefore not portable) module?

Bill Dozier
Mortgage Physicist