[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Fat distributions or separate cfm68k/ppc distributions?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Tue, 05 Aug 1997 13:55:53 +0200

Folks,
starting with the next distribution (or, actually, starting with the
1.5a2 distribution that PSA members have gotten) the python
application and python applets are fat binaries. However, I'm still
undecided as to whether to fully integrate the ppc and cfm68k
distributions. The advantage of a fully integrated fat release, with
fat plugin modules and a fat PythonCore shared library, is that people
can store a single copy of Python on a file server for everyone to
use. The disadvantage is that a Python distribution will take
2-3 Mb more diskspace than it does currently.

Another option is to have all three distributions (ppc, cfm68k and
fat) but I'm a bit reluctant to do that because it'll cause me more
work.

Yet another option is to use an installer package, but I'm also
reluctant to do that because these things are rather expensive and I
have no experience with how good they are. Also, this'll make the
download at least as big as for the fat option.

Feedback, please,
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm