[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Re: [PYTHON GUI-SIG] native Python GUI module(s)?

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:15:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Steven D. Majewski wrote:

> The Tk8.0 widgets all look pretty good and Native on a Mac now.
>
> Some Tk *applications* ( like some of the demo code that comes with
> wish ) look pretty awful on a Mac, because they use some Tk idioms
> that don't translate well to a Mac -- they don't have native
> implementations and they typically don't look as good and perform
> poorly.

And I should add: some of it even works properly with Kaleidoscope!

( And some of it didn't look so good! Same type of problem -- since
  Kaleidoscope works by patching some of the standard window defs and
  dialogs, etc. the more standard the app, the better the result.
  But when it mostly works, the effect of "falling off the native
  look and feel horizon" is even more jarring! )

[ For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Kaleidoscope is
  a shareware control panel that can customize the Mac look & feel.
  It can change the window & finder color schemes, the look of
  checkboxes and other controls, the default system font for menus,
  etc. Sort of a limited version of the Appearance Manager that's
  been promised in a future MacOS release. That is another aspect
  of Native Look & Feel: on that Mac, that has often translated
  to TWO separate principles:
     (1): That all application should have a consistent L&F.
     (2): That what that L&F actually *IS*, should be end-user
          programmable.
  but #2 relies heavily on the way that #1 is implemented. ]

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
         By doing just a little every day, you can gradually
                let the task completely overwhelm you.