[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Python + PaperPort?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Mon, 02 Sep 1996 11:14:06 +0200

> Does anybody else using Python on the Mac have a PaperPort?  Again with
> 1.4b3 (as with 1.3.3) when I tried to run MkPluginAliases, I got:
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "flap:jack:Python:Mac:scripts:MkPluginAliases.py", line 11, in ?
> ImportError: No module named os
>
> I decided to try it with no extensions today, and <ta-dah> everything
> worked fine!  11 restarts after fiddling with extensions later, it comes
> down to the Paperport control panel.  If it's loaded, I can't run Python;
> if it isn't, everything's fine.

The error message seems to point at a problem with STR# resource 129, where
sys.path is stored. If the Paperport software somehow puts a new resource 129
somewhere in the system resources Python will see this during startup and
attempt to use it as initialization for sys.path.

I don't know of an easy fix, if this is indeed the problem. For the next
release I will access the "global" resources by name in stead of by number.

Hmm, on second hands I *do* know a workaround. Start Python with extensions
off, and let it create the preferences file. With ResEdit, open the
preferences file and the interpreter, and copy STR# 128 from the preferences
file to the interpreter as STR# 129.
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm