[Python.NET] pip and wheel

davidacoder davidacoder at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 26 15:50:04 CET 2013

Hi,

I think one major barrier for easier adoption of pythondotnet right now is
setup, i.e. how you get to a point where you can just use it.

I think there are a couple of issues:

- the download page on sourceforge is confusing. There are five folders on
the first page that don't seem to follow some common naming scheme. Three
have a pythonnet version in it, one doesn't have any version in the name and
the last one refers to a CLR version. If I land there I just don't know what
to do next.

- There doesn't seem to be a win x64 download, which I would assume to be
the major version in use right now.

- In general the builds seem to be old

- There don't seem to be mono builds (although, should there be?)

At the same time I feel that with the new package stuff happening in the
general python world the idea of having a binary zip file download is
getting old in any case.

One potentially elegant way around this is to provide binary wheels for
pythondotnet that are hosted on pypi.python.org for windows. I don't know
how the mono stuff would work and multi-platform things, though. In any
case, I think it should be feasible at that point to simply use pip to
install pythondotnet:

pip install pythondotnet

and that would do the trick. And now that pip is bundled in the default
python distribution, I feel that would essentially solve the distribution
problem completely, right? I think such a pip install should just make the
clr module available for import. I am less sure whether such a wheel install
should also put npython.exe somewhere onto the path (scripts folder?).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

David