[Python.NET] Getting started with Python for .NET

Liam Corrigan Liam.Corrigan at allenvanguard.com
Wed Nov 7 14:42:18 CET 2012

You do not need to add the extension in the AddReference call.
Just clr.AddReference("DotNet4Class")
From DotNet4Class import *

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 19:08:59 +0000 (UTC)
From: Anneka Boccio <adp at cypress.com>
To: pythondotnet at python.org
Subject: [Python.NET] Getting started with Python for .NET

I'm completely new to Python for .Net, and I actually have very little experience with Python and no experience with C#.  So please forgive me if my question seems very basic.

I'm using Python 2.7.3, and I downloaded
pythonnet-2.0-alpha2-clr2.0_131_py27_UCS2 and unzipped it into a folder named pyfornet_test, which also contains the dll I'm trying to use (called
DotNet4Class.dll)

Then I run this:
import sys
import os
import clr
sys.path.append(r"C:\pyfornet_test")
clr.AddReference("DotNet4Class.dll")

Which gives me this error:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find assembly 'DotNet4Class.dll'.
   at Python.Runtime.CLRModule.AddReference(String name) in C:\Users\Barton\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\PyShar p\trunk\pythonnet\src\runtime\moduleobject.cs:line 375

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!