[Python.NET] python for .net

Scot Kelly skelly at passportcapital.com
Fri Jan 20 22:37:55 CET 2012

Re: Python for .NET.

All,
I have created a Clr example which instantiates and manipulates objects of type System.String.
When I try to have it access the HelloWorld-esque object that I have written in VB.net python throws an error on my import statement.
In the docs on "Python for .NET" there's no discussion on what form the .NET code must be in to be reachable, in terms of namespaces, modules and classes.
Here's my code. I've tried encapsulating my class in Namespace and Module wrappers no avail.  Perhaps the lack of a PublicKeyToken is an ssue.

Feedback...
I thought the process was fairly simple.
0. The inclusion of python.exe in the .zip merits annotating as optional.
1. The readme should probably discuss the need to sys.path.append('c:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\Clr').
2. I thought the filename, Python.Runtime.dll, was too generic.  Is it within your abilities to name it more specifically, such as PythonForNet.Runtime.dll
3. There's no reference section for the methods of clr. (ex: what is the parameter to and usage of ListAssemblies?)

Regards,
Scot Kelly.

ps: a little revolution now and then is a good thing

python code:
import sys

sys.path.append('c:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\Clr') #Contains two files: clr.pyd and Python.Runtime.dll.
import clr

def CallMicrosoftStringClass():
    #clr.AddReference("System")
    #from System import String as DotNetString
    #print clr.ListAssemblies()

    print 'Welcome to CallMicrosoftStringClass.'
    a = DotNetString('SomeTyping')
    print 'a is a instance of ' + a.__class__.__name__
    print 'a', a
    b = DotNetString(a.PadRight(15, 'x'))
    print 'b', b
    c = DotNetString(b.Insert(2,'abc'))
    print 'c', c
    d = c.ToUpper() #note: not calling construtor of DotNetString here.
    print 'd', d
    print 'd is a instance of ' + d.__class__.__name__
    print 'Leaving CallMicrosoftStringClass.'

def CallObjectTwo():
    #Import System
    clr.AddReference("CallbackExample")
    print '1111.a'
    print clr.FindAssembly("CallbackExample")
    print '1111.b'
    #print dir(clr)
    for e in clr.ListAssemblies(0):
        print e
    print '1111.c'
    for e in clr.ListAssemblies(1):
        print e
    print '1111.d'
    #from Namspacexyz import ObjectTwo as ObjDos
    #import CallbackExample
    import ObjectTwo
    print '2222'

    print 'Welcome to CallObjectTwo.'
    #a = ObjectDos('SomeTyping')
    #print 'a is a instance of ' + a.__class__.__name__
    print 'Leaving CallObjectTwo.'

print '  '
print '  '
print '  '
print '  '
print '  '
print '  '
print '  '
#for element in sys.path:
#  print element
print 'Welcome to Scots_ClrExample      '*3
CallObjectTwo()
print 'Finished with Scots_ClrExample      '*3

VB.net code:
Imports System
'Imports System.Collections.ArrayList

'Imports System.Collections
'Imports System.Threading
'Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices
'Imports System.Data.Sql
'Imports System.Data.SqlTypes
'Imports Microsoft.SqlServer.Server
''Imports System.Win32Native

'How to compile:
' cd "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Sql Server"
' path=%path%;%SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
' vbc /target:library  "CallbackExample.vb" | more

Public Namespace NSPC

'Public Module CallbackExample

  'Demo callback functionality
  Public Class ObjectTwo
     Public Shared Function HelloWorld() as string
          return "Hello World from ObjectTwo !!"
     End Function

      Public Shared Function TestCallBack(obj As Object) As string
          Dim sResult as string
          sResult = "Hello"
          obj.CallbackFunc237(sResult)
          sResult = "Goodbye"
          return sResult 'new SqlChars(CSTR(sResult))
      End Function
  End Class

'End Module
End Namespace

PASSPORT CAPITAL
30 Hotaling Place, Suite 300
San Francisco, CA 94111
www.passportcapital.com<http://www.passportcapital.com/>

Scot Kelly
Tel 415-525-8910
Fax 415-321-4620
skelly at passportcapital.com

CONFIDENTIALITY: The information transmitted is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.

E-mail transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free and we accept no liability for any errors or omissions. We screen for viruses on a routine basis, however, we make no representation or warranty as to the absence of viruses in this e-mail or any attachments.  Please note that for regulatory and compliance reasons we may monitor and read e-mails sent to and from our servers.

Passport Capital, LLC and its affiliated investment vehicles are actively engaged in investment management and evaluation activities in global markets and do not wish to be exposed to any nonpublic information regarding any company(s) or security(s) that could be deemed material and restrict their ability to trade securities without their express prior consent.