[Python.NET] Better doc strings.

Barton barton at bcdesignswell.com
Sun Apr 24 01:05:13 CEST 2011

I just pushed the initial DocStringAttribute mods to the trunk:

* Python.Runtime now exposes a public class called DocStringAttribute
with usage = AttributeTargets.All

* Decorating .NET classes and methods has passed initial tests on Mono.

### test.cs ##
using System;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
using Python.Runtime;

namespace PinvokeTest
{
	[DocStringAttribute("Interface class to external functions.")]
	public class Invoke {

		[DocStringAttribute("External funtion simulation: WriteToFile(char)
will write a char to the terminal.")]
         	public static void WriteToFile(char arg) {
             		Console.WriteLine("Writing {0}", arg);
                         return;
		}
	}
}

## test.py ##
import clr
clr.AddReference("SimpleLibTest")   # the name of the .NET or Mono assembly
import PinvokeTest
from PinvokeTest import Invoke      # .NET or Mono namespace maps to a
python module
                                     # so grab the class from there
using import
Invoke.WriteToFile('a')             # Now call a method on the class
print "Function docstring:",
print Invoke.WriteToFile.__doc__
print "Class docstring:", Invoke.__doc__
i = Invoke()
print "Instance docstring:", i.__doc__