[Python.NET] Experimental C Extensions from IronPython with Python.NET - code and article

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Wed Oct 24 01:23:52 CEST 2007

Michael Foord wrote:
> I've just posted the experimental code for accessing CPython extensions
> from IronPython. It uses the embedding wrapper from Python.NET so I
> thought I would let you know. :-)
>
> Blog entry:
> http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/arch_d7_2007_10_20.shtml#e862
> Article: http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/cpython_extensions.shtml
>
> Despite some serious limitations it works! I have already had matplotlib
> with numpy and Tkinter working from IronPython.
>
> We're evaluating to see if this should be the basis of our 'C Extensions
> from IronPython' project.

Nice work, Michael!  :)

I've been doing some work on PythonDotNet over the last couple for
months, mostly porting it to Python 2.3, 2.5 and 2.6, getting Mono and
UCS-4 builds done and straighting out bugs. I've also played with the
idea to embed PythonDotNet in IronPython but I haven't got as far as
you. And to be honest I haven't thought that it's so easy to get the
basics done. I'm still fighting with IronPython on Mono.

I have been trying to use a different approach to exchange data between
IronPython and PythonDotNet/CPython. I used the same approach as the
processing package. It uses pickles to exchange data across multiple
Python processes.

Christian