[Python.NET] Could you tell me how to call python from c#?

Karpenstein, Nissim (C-BASS) Nissim.Karpenstein at C-BASS.COM
Wed Jun 6 15:37:22 CEST 2007

I tried to post this to the list yesterday but it bounced because of
address issues...hopefully this will work:

If you want to execute a python program from c-sharp you can just use
System.Diagnostics.Process to execute python.exe and you don't need
python for .net.

Python for .net is more appropriate for if you want to execute a python
function or create an instance of a python object and then run methods
and access attributes from your C# program.

The example you linked to is OK, except that he modified the
Python.Runtime.Dll which is not necessary.

If you had a Hello.py with a function called hello Like this:

def hello():
    return 'hello'

You could do this in C#:

PythonEngine.Initialize();
PyObject helloModule = PythonEngine.ImportModule("Hello");
String fromPython = helloModule.InvokeMethod("hello", new
PyTuple()).ToString(); PythonEngine.Shutdown();

// now fromPython = "hello"

If your function takes an argument:

def returnArg(arg):
    return arg

PythonEngine.Initialize();
PyObject helloModule = PythonEngine.ImportModule("Hello");
String fromPython = helloModule.InvokeMethod("returnArg", new
PyObject[1] {new PyString("Test")}).ToString(); PythonEngine.Shutdown();

// now fromPython = "test"