[Python.NET] Initial Script Directory?

Michael Reitzenstein huntersd at iprimus.com.au
Fri Jan 9 23:06:48 EST 2004

I have almost finished my first full project using .Net & Python, however
when trying the program out on other computers I have hit a problem when
importing modules.

I couldn't figure out how to set the directory that Python should search to
import modules when I first started integrating Python into my application,
so I did a kludge-y method where I copied the script into the program's
main directory, ran it, and then deleted the script and its compiled
equivalent once it had been ran. This works fine on my machine - but I sent
it to my friend to test out, and it wouldn't work. The scripts would copy
over fine into the program's main directory, but an exception would be
tripped when attempting to import the module.

I am guessing that the directory that Python searches in is incorrect (not
defined?) on their machine. I attempted the following at the very start of
my program:

string Dir = System.Windows.Forms.Application.ExecutablePath;
System.Environment.CurrentDirectory = Dir.Replace( "Buildmeister.exe", "" );
ProgramDir = System.Environment.CurrentDirectory;

Python.Runtime.PythonEngine.Initialize( );
Python.Runtime.PythonEngine.RunSimpleString( "sys.path[ 0 ] = '" +
ProgramDir + "'" );
Python.Runtime.PythonEngine.RunSimpleString( "chdir( '" + ProgramDir + "'" );

...But it doesn't work! Is there any simple way to set the directory that
python searches for modules?