[PythonCE] Qt-wince

Alexandre Delattre alexandre.delattre at enst-bretagne.fr
Mon Oct 22 12:32:01 CEST 2007

Hi,

A PyQt port should be feasible, but I'm afraid we'll end up with the
same problems as wxpython port regarding high memory usage:
Wince kernel has a very tight virtual address space in which dll are
adressed (about 32MB), this means passed a certain point, dll could not
be loaded.
Also the address of the dll must be aligned on a 32k boundary (I'm
unsure if it's the exact value), meaning it's better to have one big dll
than many little for the same code size.

Basically, SIP and SWIG wrappers are a lot of dlls themselves.
I do not want to discourage anyone willing to port PyQt, but please
consider these two points:

 - Wrap only the minimal gui classes to reduce code size
 - Produce only one dll for the wrappers, and better, link statically
the wrappers with the Qt library

Regards,
Alexandre