[PythonCE] VensterCE release

Brian Brown brian at ablelinktech.com
Tue Jan 30 17:18:24 CET 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 8:55 AM, alexandre.delattre at enst-bretagne.fr wrote:

>> I'm curious.
>>
>> The original Venster was published under the MIT license.
>>
>> Why have you published Venster-CE under the GPL license?
>>
>> Alan.
>
> Well, I thought that the most important was to use an OSI compliant
> license and I personnaly prefer GNU/GPL. I'am no license-expert, so if
> you see any problem with this, tell me, and I could change the
> licensing.
>
> Alex.

Hello Alex,

I was under the impression that MIT is quite OSI compliant. I prefer
MIT/BSD licensing and have published a great deal of code under that
license (http://techgame.net/projects/Framework).

I personally believe there is a great synergy between commercial and
open source entities; for example, all the code we have created as
expressly open source were completely funded by commercial entities.
We make it as free as we can (MIT/BSD) for commercial or non-
commercial use. The GPL typically bars commercial use because you
can't keep any part of your system proprietary.

Basically, If a toolkit is GPL, I typically won't use it when doing
development of my own stuff, although there are lots of other
licenses, such as MPL, APL and others that are less restrictive that
the GPL.

That's my 2 cents :)

- Brian