[PythonCE] wxPython, handling close events

Luke Dunstan coder_infidel at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 23 17:12:20 CET 2007

As with any Pocket PC application (written in Python or otherwise), the X "close" button merely hides a window and does not destroy it. The Pocket PC platform is intended so that users don't need to "close" applications as such, and if you open enough other applications that the memory starts to become full, the OS will actually close (WM_CLOSE) some of the applications that were hidden in the background. If you try clicking the X button on any of the Microsoft's Pocket PC applications, e.g. Pocket Word, and then look in the task manager you will notice that it is still running.

You may be able to capture the event as WM_SHOWWINDOW.

As with any Python program on the PC, your script is not a process but is just a text file that is interpreted by the python.exe process.

Luke