[PythonCE] remote-console

Thomas Heller theller at ctypes.org
Wed Feb 21 14:35:10 CET 2007

Ruben Miguelez Garcia schrieb:
>> Ah, great.  Yes, the current version only works on Windows, it requires
>> that the device is connected via ActiveSync.  The CeRemoteAPI is used to
>> transfer the client script to the device, and start the interpreter there.
>> Sorry for this limitation.
>
>> Is there something on Linux that allows to
>> transfer files and start processes on the PDA?
>
> I really don't know because I didn't have time to investigate it and my
> application is already finished, so I won't work more with the PDA for some
> time.
>
> But I think It should be possible. I just connected the usb cable from the
> cradle to my laptop and this is the output from the kernel:
>
> --------------------
> # dmesg
> usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
> drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
> usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
> usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
> drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
> drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for PocketPC
> PDA
> drivers/usb/serial/ipaq.c: USB PocketPC PDA driver v0.5
> ipaq 2-1:1.0: PocketPC PDA converter detected
> usb 2-1: PocketPC PDA converter now attached to ttyUSB0
> usbcore: registered new driver ipaq
> ---------------------

I found the synce project on sourceforge.  This contains a rapi library that
emulates the rapi.dll on Windows.

I have adapted the remote console sources so that it also works on linux
(tested on Ubuntu).

I'm not a Linux expert, but here is (in short) what I did:

- Installed the synce-serial, synce-dccm, libsynce0, librapi packages.
- Cradled the CE device into the USB connector (I use a Dell X50 PDA,
  with Windows Mobile 2003)
- Run these commands (some or all of them with sudo):
  modprobe ipaq
  synce-serial-config ttyUSB0
  synce-serial-start

Now the device connects to the PC, and I can run console.py.
Note that there should be no need to adjust anything in the console.py
or the client.py sources (at least if you use the default IP address that
synce suggests: 192.168.131.102).

console.py accepts some command line switches that the python interpreter
also understands.  Useful are probably "-c <statements>" and "-m <module>".

Thomas