[PythonCE] How does one build PythonCE?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Dec 14 11:35:11 CET 2007

On Thursday, December 13, 2007, at 09:56PM, "Christopher Fairbairn" <christopher at christec.co.nz> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Fri Dec 14  1:47 , Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> sent:
>>We recently switched to MS Visual Studio 2005 and now I'm wondering
>>how to build a fresh Python binary using that.  I've download the
>>source patches from SF.net and applied those to the head of Python's
>>release25-maint branch.  I then build using 'scons.bat' in the PCbuild/
>>WinCE directory which, after some patching, results in an executable.
>>So far, so good.
>
>I've got some patches to msevc.py so that the build should autodetect the presence
>of either EVC or Visual Studio 2005 (or 2008) and configure the build process
>correctly. I just haven't had time to tidy them up and publish them. Maybe I'll get
>some time over the Christmas break.
>
>Would you be keen of giving these patches a "beta test" on your system once I've
>got them ready?

Sure.

>Likewise if you have any patches to allow building against release25-maint I'd be
>interested in combining them with my current improvements to the port.

I had to do a number of small patches to get going, I'll clean those up when my project is building. IIRC all patches were locations where new code assumed that all Windows systems are desktop windows.

>>That doesn't include the sqlite extension though, and when I use
>>'scons.bat cab' I get an error about not finding the sqlite3 header
>>files. The reason for that is obvious, the solution is less so. The
>>build complains because I have to download the sqlite sources and
>>store them somewhere, but I have no idea where they should be stored.
>
>The download of PythonCE source code would have placed the source in a directory
>called "Python-2.5". You need to place the sqlite-ce source code in a directory
>beside this folder (i.e. the main folder has both a Python-2.5 and Sqlite
>subfolder). The name it should have depends upon the exact version of sqlite your
>PythonCE source code has been hardcoded for. For my current branch I need to place
>it into a directory called sqlite-source-3.3.5-wince.
>
>The exact path can be determined by opening up the SConstruct file. It should have
>a line containing a line like the following:
>
>sqlite_source = '#../../../sqlite-source-3.3.5-wince'

Thanks for the tips, that should help me get going with pysqlite support. Am I correct when assuming that I have to use the sqlite version at http://sqlite-wince.sourceforge.net/?  That would explain why I got nowhere before, I had downloaded the stock sqlite distribution.

Now I just have to find why VSC++2005 wants to link my project with the rtti CRT (which it cannot find), even though I've disabled rtti in my own project and the wxWidgets on. That's not Python specific, so I won't bore you with that.

Ronald