[PythonCE] Trying to Code Python ON a Pocket PC Phone

Bandung bandung at skyesystems.com
Tue Sep 26 17:00:06 CEST 2006

The only way that I know how to "edit" a *.py file rather than execute it is
to change the registry entry that *.py points to in your registry.  Normally
.py calls the "pyfile"  entry and it is within pyfile where  one types the
command to launch python24.exe.   I simply point *.py to my Vim Open Start
command which is within the registry entry "vimfile" and Vim launches
instead.  If you use "idle" as your editor, I suppose you could get it to do
the same thing.  If you are not familiar with modifying your registry to do
this, don't worry.  There are utilities that can do this for you.

Now by doing this, you realize that you can no longer execute *.py files
when you double click on them  if you have a windows mobile 5.0 device.
Since there is no console for Windows mobile 5.0, there is no way to launch
a *.py without double clicking on it.  If you have a windows mobile 2003,
then you can download a console programme that will permit you to launch
your *.py files  from a dos like command line.

So why do this personally?  Well its only when I am doing a lot of editiing
and I get weary of launching Vim and then opening up the appropriate *.py
file.  Without this trick, its a lot of keystrokes to open up a *.py file
via Vim because Vim always starts its file open search in the default
directory within main storage and all of my files are buried deep down a
directory tree on my Storage Card.

I can shell out of Vim on my desktop to run programmes that I am editing
within Vim without exiting Vim.  I haven't tried that on my pda because
windows mobile 5.0 doesn't have a console so I naturally assume that I'm
screwed.  Because in most cases, I am screwed on Windows Mobile 5.0  I can't
get things like OpenSSH working because this version of mobile windoze lacks
this console.  Plus there are many other terrible side effects to this
missing console feature such as not having any raw_inout" capabilities from
my python24ce interpreter.

Sigh ....