[PythonCE] Seeking alternative to wxPython

Bandung bandung at skyesystems.com
Mon Sep 18 03:16:24 CEST 2006

If you really want a Windows look and feel then I would suggest that you use
Visual Basic or any one of the visual microsoft development tools.  They are
"cross platform" if you don't mind sticking to windoze machines.  The
challenge then becomes, "how do you point your callbacks into python, rather
than microsoft code?

You could try to use the pywin32 interface developed by Hammond to talk to
your gui.  Its been a long time since I used it for anything and that was
essentially for things like starting an excel spreadsheet and then copying
and pasting data into the spreadsheet from a python program.  I would also
think that  ctypes could help with calling into the win32gui as well.

For the time being, I am sticking with TKinker.  It is cross platform and it
works well on my windows mobile machine.   I can develop using python on my
desktop as well as pda.  I can also use more heavy duty "editors" such as
SPE on my desktop or iPython.  I use Vim on the pda. There is the promise of
some nice gui enhancing tricks with Tile for tcl/tkinter which I haven't
managed to find for my pda - only the desktop.  And there are a wealth of
additional controls that you can find on the net that extend the basic
TKinter controls.

You could try to stick with wx for developing your gui and then using ctypes
to call into it.  I struggle with mastering c++ so wx is not my love child
sort of thing.  Things being as they are, its TKinter for tme.