[PythonCE] Tkinter in pythonce...

Luke Dunstan coder_infidel at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 7 05:20:47 CET 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rodrigo Contreras Köbrich" <rc at simov.cl>
To: <pythonce at python.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:28 AM
Subject: [PythonCE] Tkinter in pythonce...

> Hi.
>
> I installed the CAB file in my PDA.
> The first thing I wanted to test was the GUI capabilities, so I tried to
> run the following code (which compiles nicely in the PC version):
>
> from Tkinter import *

The first thing I should say is that I know very little about Tkinter/Tcl/Tk
so I'm not really personally able to support this part of the PythonCE port.
The installer does include _tkinter.pyd merely as a convenience but it does
not include the Tcl/Tk DLLs, partly because as I said I don't know enough
about them but also because they are too large to include when only some
people will use them.

The Python part of Tkinter is also included but unfortunately they are not
in the default sys.path. As per Stewart's suggestion you can use
sitecustomize.py or another method to add '\\Program
Files\\Python\\python23.zip\\lib-tk' to sys.path. In the next release I hope
to fix this to be automatic. You still need to get Tcl/Tk DLLs from
elsewhere though.

Luke