[PythonCE] Empty project or Human Friendly Project?

Tim Lesher tlesher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 20:30:27 CET 2006

I think one of the issues that really hurts PythonCE is the fact that
it's not part of the mainline, so its availability and status is
always questionable.

A few weeks ago on the core python-dev mailing list, Guido weighed in on this:

"My reason for wanting people to contribute ports back is that if they
don't, the port is more likely to stick on some ancient version of
Python (e.g. I believe Nokia is still at 2.2.2). Then, assuming the
port remains popular, its users are going to pressure developers of
general Python packages to provide support for old versions of Python.

While I agree that maintaining port-specific code is a pain whenever
Python is upgraded, I still think that accepting patches for
odd-platform ports is the better alternative. Even if the patches
deteriorate as Python evolves, they should still (in principle) make a
re-port easier."

Just my opinion, but I don't think PythonCE will get much traction
unless and until someone decides to clean up the build and contribute
it back to the core.
--
Tim Lesher <tlesher at gmail.com>