[PythonCE] Programming on Pocket PC's, use Python?

Bandung bandung at skyesystems.com
Tue Dec 12 16:35:16 CET 2006

If you want to play around with the PPC before buying one, try using the
following emulator.  It can be run from a usb key.  In that way, you can
take your virtual ppc "anywhere with you".

http://www.furrygoat.com/2005/09/portable_ce_20.html Portable Win CE

This pocket pc on an usb stick will run all of the currently embedded apps
that ship with WIndows mobile 5.0 as an example.  Plus you can add software
such as pythonce and run it.  FOr whatever reason, I could not get wxPython
to play in this environment so I have scrubbed playing with it.  IT is not
all that stable and  from my experience there seems to be no guarabntee that
an app which runs within the emulator, will run on the hardware device (or
vice versa)

You will be able to see how things work.  The speed of the emulator is not
that great so you may not be able to accurately access if certain software
packages will run fast enough for you.

Anyways, its a good place to start playing with windows mobile apps before
investing any money.  I initially liked working with the emulator because I
could run pocket pc software with a screen resolution of 640 x 480 rather
than that dinky 320 x 240.  But the inability to get a software
configuration that works on the hardware device, to run on the emulator, has
caused me to dump it.

If you want a better understanding of the differences between pythonce and
python, visit the web site.

http://pythonce.sourceforge.net/Wikka/HomePage pythonce

In general, most features work.  There are some nifty debugging capabilities
that I wished  worked and a number of os and sys functions that aren't there
in the pocket pc version but overall, its a pretty good emulation.  The
biggest problem is with building a GUI that is portable between your desktop
and the pocket pc.  The simplest GUI for me is TKinter but the widgets are
very limited.  I added TkTable which helps a bit.  Plus I have used
BWidgets.  The latter works great on the desktop but one widget, the combo
box blows up on the ppc.