[PythonCE] import Tkinter breaks PythonCE

Edward Fewell EdwardFewell at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 04:42:26 CET 2005

It sounds to me like you're not using the PPC version of the Workabout Pro.
The Workabout Pro comes in either CE .NET or Mobile 2003 (another name for
PPC, added just this year to the Workabout PRO).  If it's saying you've got
Windows CE .NET 4.20, then I believe you don't have the Mobile 2003 version,
and it's likely an OS incompatibility with the version of Python and Tkinter
you're trying to use.  (Some of the biggest differences between PPC and CE
NET are in the shell and graphics handling.)

Confirm which version of the Workabout Pro you actually have.  If you have
Mobile 2003, then you might push back on Psion's customer service because
they may have a problem with their implementation. Because it's 3rd party
software, they may not be helpful though.

If you have the CE .NET version, try using the HPC2000 version of Python CE.
That might actually be more compatible than the version you're using.  You
also might have to see if upgrading to Mobile 2003 from Psion is possible
(or practical).

Good luck.  Let me know how it goes.

Edward Fewell