[PythonCE] IdleCE v1.0a

Ed Blake kitsune_e at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 22:43:43 CEST 2005

It's been a while since I messed with this thing, but yesterday I opened up
my outline and had a look around.  Before I knew it I had fixed some problems
and coded most of the features in the todo list.  I also discovered that the
code is kind of a mess.  In fact I think Leo is the only reason I was able to
get anywhere with it.  If I spent some time and did a full re-write I could
probably make something much nicer/more functional/easier to maintain.
Unfortunatly I'm too lazy to do a re-write any time soon.  I also have a
couple of other projects I want to work on so...

New features:
    A notebook style interface with an editor 'tab' and a clipboard 'tab'.
    Added finder, goto line, and indent width dialogs.
    Added some padding to the edge of the editor.
    Running a file should work better (except no Tk programs).

Known bugs:
    A newline is added every time you save your file.
    Triple quotes are only displayed correctly about 10% of the time.
    There may be some problems with events/keybindings (tab/shift-tab).
    ctrl-c/x/v probably don't work right, use the popup/edit menu.
    Non-ascii characters are generate occasionally.

Future features:
    The main two complaints I have are that the file dialogs don't store the
    previous directory used, and the lack of a recent files list.  If any
body
    else has complaints I'll definitely consider them, but there will most
    likely be no new features until v2.0 (re-write).

Notes:
    To put something from the clipper onto the clipboard you double click it.
    Double click in the editor still pastes.
    Tapping a selection in the editor displays an edit menu.
    file>open doesn't ask if you want to save.
    Changing the indent width does not change the existing tab widths of a
    document.
    Other stuff I can't remember.

As the version number shows this is still an alpha grade release.  I've been
using it to work on things, but I've also been working with copies.  If you
have something worth keeping back it up before editing it.  If IdleCE bombs
on you let me know when/why/how and I will try to fix it.  Good luck!

Script:
http://kitsu.petesdomain.com/files/IdleCE.py

Outline:
http://kitsu.petesdomain.com/files/IdleCE.leo