[PythonCE] ImportError problem

Mark Doukidis mdoukidis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 03:55:24 CEST 2005

After further googling I found an interesting article:

"Windows CE .NET Advanced Memory Management"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dncenet/html/advmemmgmt.asp

Apparently DLL memory management has a few quirks.

The following snipit, while referring to Pocket PC 2002, may still be relevant:

"With corporate applications processing vast amounts of data,
corporate developers are forced to use large databases in their
Windows CE applications. Usually the database engine is implemented as
a DLL and it is usually quite large. In the example above, the
database DLL is the troublemaking DLL C. With the combination of less
than 16 megabytes of virtual memory space available for a Pocket PC
2002 application and the requirements of large, RAM-based DLLs, many
developers are discovering that their applications will not run due to
lack of space—not RAM, but virtual memory space."

Interestingly, I have overcome this error (probably temporarily):

time.strptime(datestr, '%d/%m/%y')
File "binaries\lib\_strptime.py", line 18, in ?
File "binaries\lib\calendar.py", line 8, in ?
ImportError: DLL load failed: Not enough storage is available to
complete this operation.

(where line 8 in calendar.py is "import datetime", a DLL)

by adding:

import datetime

to the beginning of my application code.

The article above talks about various methods to tackle DLL problems.
Maybe someone with a "CE" background can offer some comment in "PYTHONIC" terms
about "virtual memory space" and DLL issues.

Thanks for the pointer Ulrich.

Mark Doukidis