[PythonCE] Hello and some questions

Luke Dunstan coder_infidel at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 26 17:53:01 CET 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Info4HiDeVis" <info4hidevis at gmx.de>
To: <pythonce at python.org>
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2005 2:31 AM
Subject: [PythonCE] Hello and some questions

> hello and greez for all listmembers,
> i'm new here and i have this maillinglist subricted to find out more
> about Python at PDA's.
> On PC i coding in Python and i like this language. Now i want write
> programms for my new
> PDA (FSC Loox N520) but i have some questions:
> 1) what python-version will work with my Windows Mobile 5.0?

I would suggest that you just download the latest one you can find and try
it. An interesting list is at: http://www.traybor.com/PythonCE/

> 2) what are the fundamentaly differences between Python on Windows and PDA

Basically the differences are those that result from the differences between
desktop Windows and Windows CE, for example, Windows CE does not have pipes
so operating system functions like popen are not available. There are also
some differences due to some modules not having been ported to Windows CE
yet, e.g. pyexpat (at least in PythonCE 2.3.4).

> 3) what is the best solution for coding for PDA's (menas Editor and so on)

I think the best way to write PythonCE programs is to do it on desktop
Windows, test them on the desktop and then transfer them to the PDA. If you
need to write the code on the PDA then I don't know of any IDEs or
particularly good text editors (because I haven't looked much) but I think
there are quite a few text editors available.

> my last question is for this maillinglist:
> some maillinglists are also readable as news-group (for example:
> dzug.org) - is it for this
> maillinglist possible too? this can make the reading and writing over
> the mail-client more easier.

I don't know the answer to this question.

Luke